This is Matt's $1K type solar water heating system. Matt tried a few new things that might be just what you are looking for. One of Matt's innovations is what might be the worlds first bicycle powered groove forming machine!
Matt is a very good craftsman, and provides a wealth of interesting alternative ways of making the components.
Some of the unique features of Matt's system:
- A unique forming machine to form the groove in the aluminum fins.
- A new method of attaching the fins to the copper tubes.
- A copper heat exchanger that uses 6 parallel coils of 3/8 inch copper pipe.
- a galvanized metal collector frame.
- A steel tank instead of the EPDM lined plywood tank.
- Glass for glazing instead of polycarbonate.
Thanks very much to Matt for taking the time to document this project!
A detailed, 6 page description of the project ... (0.8 mb pdf)
More photos of the build and install process... (a photo album)
Matt will answer email questions at: auch AT tds DOT net (change AT to @ and DOT to a period)
Gary August 7, 2009